Wednesday, October 21, 2009

October and Me

I was born on the 23rd of October 1985 on the day of Dusshera. Of the very many stupid things I am proud of being born on Dusshera is at the top of my list even though I had nothing to do with it. Anyway, for me by birth month is always associated with a bit of gloom. Year after year after year, as I enter into the month of October I always find myself struggling to get my spirits up as I am faced with some problem or the other. This year is no different but unlike the things that killed my mood in previous years the questions I am struggling with this year will probably shape the rest of my life and if not that atleast affect me as a person in a substantial way.
The question I am struggling what to do with my job. My company pays me well, they treat me well, and I don't even have a lot of work to do, and on top of that they even feed me well. However, whenever, someone asks me, "how's the job?", I let loose a torrent of abuse about this company. Sometimes I used to ask myself why I do this but it used to be momentary but this month I cannot get this question out of my head. Why do I hate this company so much? Why do I want to leave it so badly?After thinking about this question for the better part of this month I still haven't been able to find a decisive answer. Maybe I hate it for the copy pasting work that they make me do, maybe it's because I have to stay away from my parents and all my loved ones to hold on to this job, or maybe I am used to complaining that I am not able to stop myself from doing. If things had only stayed at this level of trying to find out a reason for not liking my job maybe I would have been able to handle it but there is a twist to it. Apart from saying shit about my present job I found myself applying to Government of India jobs which apart from paying me extremely less money will also force me to become a part of a work culture which I, don't like. My heart is telling me over and over again that if I want to save myself I should try and get a government job but apart from what my father told me years back "Son join the government it will help you make a difference in the lives of people" I can't think of any other reason to join that institution.
So in this month of my birth I find myself irresistably attracted to an institution which I was indifferent to all my life while hating a company which apart from making me learn is giving me all the facilities that I would want. The lack of a decisive nature always put me at a disadvantage all my life and it's again coming back to bite me in the ass. I am struggling to define myself as a person, struggling to define my desires, my expectations from life, even at the ripe old age of 24.
My life which has been like a river ( if u reach an obstacle just move to the side instead of trying to conquer it) is faced with another question and like always I think I will not fight my own fight and come to a decision and instead just let the fates decide the course of my life. And once they have decided for me I will face another October mulling over another question about what I want from my life.

4 comments:

rohan said...

i don't think you would be any happier elsewhere. try to make the best of what you've got man. that is the first step to happiness.

what do you say?

Sharat said...

Love the Stream of Consciousness :)

Seems like a classic case of urban angst. I cant empathise, but can only conjure the 2 alternatives :

- If you are the guy who loves good work, avoid copy-paste jobs and try infusing creativity in your daily work. Its hard to do and meets resistance but is totally worth doing. Whats more, in some time, people learn to appreciate it.

- Do not spare any time for introspection. It is introspection that makes us depressed at the inane work we do. Make friends/companions/love and introspection is thrown out of the window for the short term.

And think twice before going for a Sarkaari job. I did a Sarkaari intern and totally hated it.I ended up stealing my certificate from office and never going back. You, my friend, might end up doing something more drastic.

Take care. :) and let me know whenever you are in Delhi.Been a long time since we met..blah..blah..

Angelus said...

Dude ..wonderful post and I am only reading it now. Why dont you write the Civil Services.. everyone wants you to write it.. you know you would be ace it and its a cut above all the sarkari jobs... give me a reason why not??

Gaurav said...

Abbe sahi... arjun commented on ur post on his bday... sahi
achcha tho iska published version bhi tha...
for ur happiness there is only 1 way... alcohol